Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Granma's Birthday Cake: "Southern Sensation Coconut Cake"

Ever since I was old enough to watch my Granma Cleva handcraft tasty delights in her kitchen, I was hooked on the tasty, light and fluffy texture of a coconut cake made by her hand. Her February birthday always brings thoughts of this cake. As I grew older, she began teaching me her from-scratch techniques for the ins-and-outs of baking a coconut cake and whipping up the accompanying frosting. As her second birthday since she passed from this life nears, so many "sweet" memories come to mind. When I grew up and would ask her what kind of birthday cake she wanted and her answer would be, "Those bakery cakes are nice, but no one makes a cake as good as yours!" So I made it, and here we are pictured with my first-ever coconut cake. She loved it, so my mission was accomplished.


I lost her in 2009. I had the honor of making her this coconut birthday cake for on so many February 27ths and today I continue that tradition to celebrate her life on this day. I hope you will make this recipe for someone you love.



"Southern Sensation Coconut Cake"
 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
 2 teaspoons baking powder
 1 1/2 cups sugar
 1/2 cup coconut oil
 4 large egg whites

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and dusting of flour. In medium bowl, add flour, baking powder and sugar; set aside. In separate large bowl, add oil and egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the dry flour mixture in one-thirds to the creamed mixture until all of dry mixture has been added. Pour batter evenly into baking pans. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick in center of cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Frost cooled cake, if desired, with "Southern Sensation Coconut Frosting".

"Southern Sensation Coconut Frosting"
 1/2 cup butter
 1/2 cup shortening
 4 cups powdered sugar
 1 teaspoon cream of coconut
 1/4 cup shredded coconut

 In mixing bowl, add first four ingredients. Beat with mixer 1 minute. Add coconut to mixture. Beat with mixer 5 minutes. Frost cooled cake. Use reserved ½ cup of coconut to coat top and sides of frosted cake. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment